Some of the world’s richest farmland is at risk by a planned extension of Olympian Drive from Market Street in Champaign to Route 45 north of Urbana. 85 acres could be lost to the road itself and 1,600 acres to industrial uses. The purpose of the extension is to provide connectivity between I-57 and Route 45, just 1 mile north of I-74.
Cost estimates vary but, the County officials expect at least $30M. Contributions will be required of Champaign & Urbana ($5-6M), Champaign County, the State of Illinois ($5M), and Federal funds ($8-10M). The project is being sold to promote economic development while hundreds of acres of develop-able land in the county is available without disturbing active agriculture.
A delegation of 18 public officials and business interests recently visited Washington D.C. to lobby for the federal funds.
Please sign the petition on line: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stopolympiandrive/
Become a Facebook fan: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-Olympian-Drive-Group/362486134343?filter=2
Please contact these elected officials before March 15 and ask them to say NO to the Olympian Drive expansion:
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY BOARD MEMBERS
- Sam Smucker, email@example.com, (217) 384-1863
- Tom Betz, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 328-5419
- Carol Ammons, email@example.com, (217) 344-1811
- Jan Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 356-2433
- Alan Kurtz, email@example.com, (217) 356-0011
- Barb Wysocki, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 367-5014
- Matt Gladney, email@example.com, (217) 355-1277
URBANA CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Charlie Smyth, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 367-2813
- David Gehrig, email@example.com, (217) 384-9564
- Robert Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 328-3585
- Brandon Bowersox, email@example.com, (217) 367-3540
- Dennis Roberts, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 344-0069
- Diane Marlin, email@example.com, (217) 384-1855
CHAMPAIGN CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Will Kyles, WillKyles@ci.champaign.il.us, (217) 552-3625
- Michael La Due, Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 367-5536
- Kyle Harrison, KyleHarrison@ci.champaign.il.us, (217) 714-8016
- Marci Dodds, email@example.com, (217) 351-4765
- Thomas Bruno, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 398-2191
- Deborah Frank Feinen, DeborahFrankFeinen@ci.champaign.il.us, (217) 356-2086
- Karen Foster, KarenFoster@ci.champaign.il.us, (217) 359-0356
- Sen. Richard Durbin, email@example.com, (202) 224-2152
- Sen. Roland Burris, firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 224-2854
- Rep. Tim Johnson, email@example.com, (202) 225-2371
Ask them to say NO to Olympian Drive.
Tell them that:
- The Olympian Drive is unnecessary sprawl plenty of other development options exist. Quick-take is an unacceptable use of force for this project.
- All economic development isn’t concrete and smokestacks. Farmers pump millions into our economy each year, enriching our communities.
- You do not support this project and want the $30 million spent on education, families, job retention, and existing infrastructure.